Monday, April 6, 2015

Week Eight

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful week. 
We are winding down to the last month of our research projects. This week, I worked mostly on perfecting my grammar structure. I have decided that my grammar structure is going to be: Went to the park did I. This would employ a structure that has a sentence order of: Object then Verb then Subject. This isn’t found in any human languages, to my knowledge, but I am working on researching that. Because I am not familiar with this grammar structure, I’ve found it to be rather confusing in constructing sentences, but I’m working on diagramming sentences in my poetry to give me an easier time identifying sentence parts. This should make translating my work a little easier. 

I also began reading Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney and it is truly excellent so far! It is relevant to my project as it exemplifies some very interesting linguistic theories, such as the Sapir-Whorf Theory. This theory tries to explain how a speakers language can affect their thoughts and views on the world. The novel uses this theory as a central point in the construction of an alien language that belongs to invaders. I would most absolutely recommend it to any sci-fi and/or language lovers. I hope you all have a great week and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment